Grand Portage Lodge & Casino Reopens June 29, 2020
NOTE: Everything is subject to change as the situation evolves.
We will continually update these FAQs as things change.
When will you reopen?
Grand Portage Lodge and Casino, Marina and RV Park will reopen on Monday, June 29, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
- The Trading Post opened on Monday, June 15, 2020
- New COVID-19 health and safety protocols will be practiced in all facilities
What are your new hours?
New hours for our initial reopening (subject to change):
Lodge: Open 24 hours
Restaurant: Open 8AM to 8PM
Lounge: Open 5PM to Midnight
Casino: Open 10AM to Midnight
Temporarily closures include:
- Casino Deli
- Pool Area
- Fitness Center
- Arcade Room
- Outdoor Playgrounds
What COVID-19 Protocols are in place?
At Grand Portage Lodge & Casino, the health and safety of our guests, employees and community is our highest priority.
In addition to our usual high standards of cleanliness, during the closure, the property has been thoroughly deep-cleaned and sanitized, and enhanced health and safety plans have been developed with guidance from public health officials. Upon returning, guests can expect enhanced new safety procedures and protocols:
- Non-invasive thermal scanning will be conducted at the main entrance for all guests and employees
- Anyone with a temperature of 100◦ or more will not be admitted, and will be asked to return when healthy
- Face Coverings will be required by frontline employees and guests
- Please bring your own
- If you don’t have one, Face Coverings will be available while supplies last
- Diners may remove their Face Covering after seated at their table
- Improved Air Quality
- This is now a smoke-free facility (including the casino, lounge and lodge rooms), with the exception of a designated smoking area located in a portion of our Event Center
- Please sanitize your hands before leaving the Smoking Room
- Our state-of-the-art air exchange system continually provides 100% fresh air, never recycled
- Practice Social Distancing (six feet apart)
- Stanchions and signage will be placed in various queuing areas as reminders
- Hand sanitizer stations placed throughout the property in high-traffic areas
- Please sanitize frequently!
- High touch areas will be frequently sanitized and disinfected, including:
- Slot machines and chairs
- Faucets and toilet flush levers
- Doorknobs and locks
- Entrance and exit doors and door handles
- Elevator buttons
- Light switches
- Casino access will be limited to 50 % capacity for social distancing
- Blackjack Tables will be closed until further notice
- Protective plexiglass partitions will be placed at the Players Club, Front Desk, Casino Cashier, Lounge, Dining Room Cashier and other frontline service areas
- Antlers Lounge will offer drink service
- Guests may enjoy drinks at a limited number of tables in the lounge, and in the casino or restaurant
- Bar seating and service around the bar will not be available (chairs removed)
- Lodge rooms will be at 50% of capacity until further notice
- To book rooms, call toll free: 800-543-1384
- Online booking will not be available at this time
- Island View Dining Room will reduce number of tables by 50%to ensure appropriate social distancing, and will offer a limited menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Disposable menus and condiments will be provided
- Safe food handling and sanitation practices will be practiced
- New restaurant hours are 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. daily
- Casino Deli will be temporarily closed
- Food and drinks can be ordered from the Dining Room
- Limited “Grab & Go” food items will be available at the Front Desk 24/7.
- Trading Post is to the public from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. daily
- Marina & RV Park will be limited to self-contained RVs with water & sewer hook-ups only
- No tent trailers allowed
- Restrooms will have toilets, but no shower facility will be available
- For inquiries about the Marina & RV Park, please call the Front Desk at 800-543-1384
- Isle Royale will have limited access and facilities
- No transportation (ferry service) will be available
- For information about docking, fishing, camping and hiking, please visit: https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
To further safety measures, these amenities will be discontinued until further notice:
- Casino Deli
- Swimming Pool, Sauna and Hot Tub
- Live Concerts and Dances
- Slot Tournaments
- Fitness Center
- Complimentary shuttle bus to/from Thunder Bay, ON
- Complimentary beverages will be available from staff in the casino
- Self-serve beverage stations will not be accessible
Additionally, please adhere to our Guest Pledge:
- Stay home if you are sick. If you are sick or have had contact with someone who is sick, do not go out in public. Contact your local clinic for advice on what to do next and notify any businesses or people you have encountered. Consult the CDC for the proper safety steps if you are sick.
- Be proactive about hygiene. While traveling and entering businesses, please be extra vigilant to wash your hands, wear cloth face masks and respect the rules and signage posted at the various businesses. Individual businesses have procedures in place to keep patrons and employees safe, please respect those rules and plans they have implemented. Follow the CDCand MDH recommendations for hand-washing and hygiene efforts.
- Have patience. Businesses are restructuring how they provide services to visitors to keep you and their employees safe. Some communal amenities may not be open for use. As restrictions change, please be patient as they are implemented locally.
- Be careful and practice extreme safety. As a small rural community, we have limited health care resources.
In addition, be considerate of the fact that our Emergency Management Services and Fire Departments are all volunteer based. While our emergency services personnel are professionally trained and dedicated to keeping our community safe, taking an unnecessary risk puts these volunteers at increased risk.
- Practice physical distancing. Follow the recommended social distancing guidelines and maintain a 6’ distance between yourself and people outside of your group. Stay with your party and do not integrate or push yourself into people outside of your own family unit or traveling group.
- Come prepared. With limited resources available locally, guests are advised to travel with what you’ll need during your stay like groceries or cleaning/sanitation supplies. Lodging facilities have increased sanitation procedures, however, it is advised to run your own sanitation protocol on high touch areas (like door knobs, light switches, etc.). Learn more about what Cook County businesses are doing to try to slow the spread of the virus.
- Stay longer. Why not stay awhile and get to know us better! Extending your stay will not only be beneficial to your mental well-being but it will also allow you to dive a little deeper and explore the wonders of our area.
How do I book a room at the Lodge, a cabin at Hollow Rock Resort, or a site in the RV Park?
Please call our Front Desk at 800-543-1384 for information about availabilities, pricing, booking and all other inquiries about lodging and your upcoming stay.
To reach the Marina/RV Park directly, please call 218-475-2898.
Hollow Rock Resort details:
We will provide linens and towels… no need to bring your own.
NOTE: All Hollow Rock Resort cabin rentals are 2-day minimum (seven days a week).
What is your cancellation policy?
As our guests may be looking for flexibility when they make their travel plans, please know that you will be able to cancel or rebook your reservation prior to arrival until noon the day of check-in without charge.
This way, you can plan your visit with confidence and peace of mind. We want all of our guests to feel comfortable and confident in planning and coming to enjoy our accommodations, casino and restaurant.
How will the Lodge Rooms be serviced?
Housekeeping will not be entering your room to refresh or clean.
If you are in need of a specific item, please full out the “Request of Amenities” form, drop it at the Front Desk, or give it to a Housekeeping staff and we will gladly provide you with the necessary items.
What will be different in the Casino?
New Casino hours are 10:00 a.m. – Midnight daily (subject to change).
- Security will limit the Casino to 50% capacity
- Housekeeping will practice an enhanced disinfecting protocol to keep the slot machines safe for players
- Guests will be directed to wear Facial Coverings, practice Social Distancing 6’ apart and sanitize their hands frequently
- When finished playing on a slot machine, please turn on the Service Light and an attendant will disinfect the machine for the next player
- Blackjack will not be available at this time
- Plexiglass barriers have been installed at the Players Club and Casino Cashier as an additional protective measure for guests and employees
- An attendant will provide complimentary soft drinks and coffee from the beverage station (self-service not available at this time)
- Players will retain the same tier levels and benefits they enjoyed prior to our COVID-19 closing
- Casino Promotions and Events will be limited, with the intent to avoid crowds or the need to turn guests away due to capacity limitations
- No live slot tournaments or progressive cash giveaways at this time
With the Lounge opening at 5:00 p.m., how will I get a drink?
You can purchase beer, wine or cocktails from our Dining Room starting at 11:30 a.m.
Complimentary soft drinks and coffee will be available during Casino hours from an attendant at the Casino Beverage station.
How will Antlers Lounge operate differently?
Antlers Lounge will be open from 5:00 p.m. – Midnight seven days a week.
- Drinks can be ordered from the bartender, but bar chairs will be removed and guests may not linger at the bar. Guests may take drinks to the tables (50% capacity) or to the Casino or Lobby areas.
- Guests may also purchase drinks from the Dining Room starting at 11:30 a.m. daily.
- The Dining Room will honor drink vouchers from 11:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. when the Lounge opens.
Will you be hosting Concerts, Dances, Banquets or other Events in the Event Center?
Not at this time (subject to change).
When will the Casino Deli reopen?
We will address this as the situation evolves.
Can I smoke while at your property?
The entire property will be smoke-free, with the exception of a Smoking Room located in the Event Center across from the Lounge
- This will be for cigarette smoking only
- Vaping and Cigar smoking will not be allowed
- There will no longer be smoking rooms in the lodge
- Guests may smoke outdoors
What is new about entry and exit access?
All guests and employees must enter through our main front entrance
- Security will conduct a non-invasive thermal scan
- Those with a temperature of 100◦ or higher will be asked to return when healthy
- All other doors may be used as exits only
What do I do if I observe a guest or employee exhibiting symptoms of illness?
Please report to Security. They will engage anyone who appears to be ill and take appropriate measures to keep everyone safe.
What additional changes can I expect?
We will continue to work closely with local and national health officials to keep our guests and employees safe. Please feel confident that we’re doing all we can to provide a healthy environment so that you can enjoy your stay with us.
We will remain fluid and flexible and adapt to changes as the situation evolves.
Thank you for allowing us to be your lodge and casino of choice. Please visit grandportage.com and our Facebook page for ongoing updates. For more information, please call 800-543-1384.